A woman and her four children were burnt to death in their place of residence in the Tanke area of Ilorin, Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State, on Wednesday.
The incident occurred in Ifesowapo community behind the ‘F’ Division Police Station, Tanke, Ilorin.
It was learnt that the incident occurred around 10pm when a lighted candle fell and fire engulfed the room in which the family members were sleeping.
The woman, identified as Mrs Titilayo Adigun, a 40-year-old petty trader, died alongside four of her children in the inferno, while her husband, Fatai, is presently on admission at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital as a result of shock.
The landlord of the house, Ibrahim Gana, who was injured after rescuing the only surviving child of the family, appealed to the state government to assist them, especially the only survivor, who is currently receiving treatment at the UITH.
Gana stated, “The incident happened around 10pm last night and we tried our best to rescue them, but we were only able to rescue one of the children from the fire. The four siblings and their mother were burnt to death. We had to contact the father, who was out during the incident, on the phone and he is now in the hospital.
“We are appealing to the government and all kind-hearted Nigerians to come to our aid.”
The Chairman, Ifesowapo Community, Awodun Yinka, told reporters that a noise was heard from a room and a parlour apartment and residents rushed down to the house but were unable to rescue the victims.
A resident, Pastor Abayomi Kolapo, said, “Only one out of five children was rescued. Presently, he is having a heart problem and he is half burnt. We need the child to survive.
“The father was unconscious yesterday and was behaving abnormally because of the impact and effect of the situation on him. We want to beg the Kwara State Government to assist the father and the only surviving child.”
Efforts to get the reaction of the state fire service were not successful as the Head of Media and Publicity of the agency, Hassan Adekunle, did not pick calls made to his phone line.